FRENCH REVOLUTION AND NAPOLEON
FINAL EXAM REVIEW:
THINGS TO KNOW:
- What led to the formation of the Third Coalition?
- Be able to discuss Napoleon’s attempt to get his army to England to fight the British. How did this lead to the Battle of Trafalgar? Discuss the battle and what it meant for both the French and the British. How did it affect Napoleon’s overall strategy?
- Know about Napoleon’s victory at Austerlitz. What did this mean for Austria?
- Prussia also tried to get out of its alliance with Napoleon in 1805. Be able to discuss this ill-fated move on Prussia’s part.
- Defeat and End of the Third Coalition
- Be prepared to discuss Napoleon’s Grand Empire. Know how the Napoleonic Empire was administered. How did Napoleon maintain loyal administration of the Empire? What was the impact of France on the Grand Empire? What changes did Napoleon bring to the rest of Europe under his Empire?
- Napoleon and Nationalism. Was Napoleon a promoter of nationalism? How did Napoleon’s actions affect German, Italian and Polish nationalism?
- The Continental System, 1806: Know what the Continental System was and why Napoleon implemented it. What was Napoleon’s desire with the Continental System. What would it require to succeed? Also, know what led to the collapse of the Continental System. What were the flaws with Napoleon’s plan?
- The Peninsular War, 1808-1813: Be able to discuss the causes and the events associated with the Peninsular War. What was the outcome and how did this affect the rest of Europe?
- Know about the Short War with Austria, 1809, and the subsequent Treaty of Schönbrunn, 1809:
- How did Napoleon go about creating an Imperial Dynasty? Why did he divorce Josephine and marry Marie Louise of Austria? What were the motives and results?
- Know about the Russian Campaign, 1812—Napoleon’s motives—Russian Strategy—Outcome.
- Be able to discuss the Wars of Liberation of 1813-1814—Look at Prussia, Austria and other dependent and allied states.
- What were the Bourbon Restoration and the Hundred Days, 1814-15?
- Be able to discuss the Congress of Vienna. Know the principal figures, their positions and the outcomes of the Congress of Vienna.
- Battle of Austerlitz
- Battle of Trafalgar
- Confederation of the Rhine
- Peninsular War, 1808-1813
- Napoleon’s “100 Days”
- Haiti Independence
- Battle of Ulm
- Tsar Alexander I
- Continental System
- Berlin Decree
- Treaties of Tilsit
- Grande Armeé
- General Mikhail Kutuzov
- Klemens von Metternich
- Charles Maurice de Talleyrand
- Arthur Wellsley, Duke of Wellington
- Third Coalition
- Congress of Vienna
- Austrian War, 1809/Treaty of Schönbrunn, 1809:
- Wars of Liberation, 1813-1814
- Battles of Dresden and Leipzig
- Marie Louise
- Battle of Waterloo
- St. Helena